Capital Asset Reporting for Non-EIS Districts
For those districts that DO NOT USE EIS, you will be required to use EMISFFE to enter your capital asset information. The steps to complete this are provided below:
1. Log into EMISFFE https://ssdt.esu.k12.oh.us/emisffe2/ffeUser/login
- You must have EMIS-R access with LEA editor role. Please contact your EMIS Coordinator if you need access
2. After logging in, it displays the main menu along with your district's IRN only (not the district name).
Click on the "Capital Assets (QC)" link to add your capital asset data.
NOTE: EMISFFE was upgraded to a new version in 2013. It also switched to a new database which prevented the data in the old version to be moved to the new version. Districts have the option of moving their capital asset data using an export from the old version and importing it into the new version. Please contact your ITC for further details. The other option is to re-enter your capital asset data in the new version.
3. Click on "NEW CAPITAL ASSETS" to add a record.
Ο On the "Capital Assets Code" box, select a code from the drop down list. A listing of available codes and their meanings are on the last page of this document
Ο Enter the prior year balance. You will need to reference either last year's ending balance or this year's beginning balance for the amount for this code
Ο Enter total amount of additions (items added) during the current year for this asset code
Ο Enter total amount of deductions (items deleted) during the current year for this asset code
Ο Click on "CREATE" when finished and repeat step 3 if you need to enter additional capital asset codes. A screenshot of creating a capital asset record is displayed on the next page.
DBK Depreciable Capital Assets, Books
DFE Depreciable Capital Assets, Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment
DIN Depreciable Capital Assets, Infrastructure
DLI Depreciable Capital Assets, Land Improvements
DVE Depreciable Capital Assets, Vehicles
LBI Accumulated Depreciation, Buildings and Building Improvements
LBK Accumulated Depreciation, Books
LFE Accumulated Depreciation, Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment
LIN Accumulated Depreciation, Infrastructure
LLI Accumulated Depreciation, Land Improvement
LVE Accumulated Depreciation, Vehicles
NDC Capital Assets not being depreciated, Construction in Progress
NDL Capital Assets not being depreciated, Land
Please refer to the last page of this document if you would like further explanation on the above asset categories.
When you are finished creating your capital asset records, you may click on "CAPITAL ASSETS LIST" to see a listing of the capital asset codes you have added.
MODIFYING AN EXISTING RECORD
An "Edit" option is available for records already added. You must first select a record from the "Capital Assets List" by clicking on the ID # of the record you want to edit and from there, click on EDIT to edit the existing record. You also have the option to DELETE the record.
Exporting files may be handled by your EMIS Coordinator. Please contact him/her requesting to export your Period H "QC Financial Data" from EMISFFE. They should use their normal FTP process to send the file to our EMIS staff and request that it be loaded into EMIS for submission to ODE.
CAPITAL ASSET CATEGORIES
The following definitions determine the asset category in which an amount should be included for capital asset reporting (found in EMIS User Guide).
- Land - A fixed asset account which reflects the acquisition value of the land owned by the school district. This account includes the purchase price and costs such as legal fees, filing and excavation costs, and other associated improvement costs incurred to put the land in condition for its intended use. If land is acquired by gift, the account reflects its appraised value at the time of acquisition.
- Land Improvements - A fixed asset account which reflects the acquisition value of permanent improvements, other than buildings, which add value to land. Examples of such improvements are fences, retaining walls, sidewalks, pavements, gutters, tunnels and bridges. If the improvements are purchased or constructed, this account contains the purchase or contract price. If improvements are obtained by gift, it reflects the appraised value at the time of acquisition.
- Buildings and Building Improvements - A fixed asset account which reflects the acquisition value of permanent structures, used to house persons and property owned by the school district. If buildings are purchased or constructed, this account includes the purchase or contract price of all permanent buildings and the fixtures attached to and forming a permanent part of such buildings. This account includes all building improvements. If buildings are acquired by gift, the account reflects their appraised value at the time of acquisition.
- Furniture, Fixtures, and Equipment - Tangible property of a more or less permanent nature, other than land, buildings, or improvements thereto, which is useful in carrying on operations. Examples are machinery, tools, furniture and furnishings.
- Vehicles – Examples are trucks, cars, and buses.
- Infrastructure – Example is sewage treatment plant.
- Books – Examples are textbooks and library books.
- Construction in Progress - The cost of construction work undertaken but not yet completed