As of April 1st, 2015, Lightspeed has released a Google Chrome extension compatible with Chromebooks that will allow web filtering outside of your network. This guide provides setup instructions for using this extension.
In order for the LSChromeFilter extension to work properly, you must have a Lightspeed Rocket running version 2.9.2 or later
You must also have the following settings configured on your Google Admin Console:
- Disable incognito mode (private browsing)
- Force the Chromebooks to allow sign in from your domain only
If these settings are not configured properly and a user logs in to a email domain that is not registered, the device will not be filtered.
- You must first create a Lightspeed Mobile Filter account. Follow the steps provided here to do so: https://wiki.nwoca.org/x/D4CzAQ
- Once you have created your mobile filter account and added the appropriate information to the mobile filter website, the next step is to add the Chrome extension to your Chromebook users:
- From the Google Admin Console, go to: Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings
- Select the organization unit from the left that you want this to apply to
- NOTE: The LSChromeFilter Chrome extension is a user extension and therefore must be applied to an OU containing users, not devices
- Scroll down to Force-installed Apps and Extensions
- Click on Manage force-installed apps
- Choose Chrome Web Store from the left and type LSChromeFilter in the search box and press Enter
- Click the Add link next to LSChromeFilter
- Click on the Save button below
- The Chrome extension will now be installed to all users in the organization unit you chose no matter what chromebook they're using.
Once the LSChromeFilter extension is applied to a user and the user attempts to access the internet outside of your school network, the user will be asked for your School ID.
Your School ID can be found on your Lightspeed Rocket under Web Filter > Mobile Devices
The user will only be asked one time, but will not be able to access the internet until they enter the ID. Once the correct School ID is entered, the user will never be prompted for it again on any Chrome device.
The configurations above will apply your Default filter to all users when outside of your school network. When an end user reaches a blocked page, they will have the option to login with their LightSpeed credentials in order to have the appropriate filter applied. The Lightspeed LSChromeFilter extension does have Single Sign-On capabilities to automatically apply the correct filter to each user, but additional steps are required for this to work.
Follow the steps here to configure Single Sign-On: https://wiki.nwoca.org/x/9gzlAQ