This procedure outlines the steps to be taken to close the USPS quarter-end.
- 1. Run the RETIRE program
Select the SERSREG option. Choose to NOT create the tape file.
Review the SERSERR.TXT report and if needed clean up any possible errors.
Review the SERSDET.TXT report and verify employee earnings, days and hours.
Verify that the total contribution amounts listed on the SERSDET.TXT report equal the total deduction checks for SERS withholdings plus any warrant checks written for pick-up on pick-up.
Verify that contributions by employee equal earnings times the applicable retirement percentage. Allow for rounding (within a few cents).
Once satisfied that the data is correct, run the program again and answer YES to create the, SERS submission file (SERS.YYYYMMDDXXXX.SEQ).
Email the file to yourself
At the Menu> go to USPS and then USPS_LCL and choose the SERS_EMAIL process.This option may need to be executed more than once if there are multiple SERS tape files.
Open the attachment in your email and save it to your desktop or a folder of your choosing.
Upload your SERS tape file(s) to the eSERS website.
Before you begin running payroll for the next month run the SERSMONTH program.
- 2. Complete and submit the SERS monthly report and payments as required.
- 3. Verify that paperwork has been completed for employees listed on the report as "new".
- 4. Balance the payroll account (when statement is received from bank).
- Run CHKSTA to reconcile checks
- Run CHKSTS option of the USPRPT program to generate an outstanding check register.
- 5. Run BENACC if applicable
- 6.Run QRTRPT selecting the demand option (N).
- 7. In the "Totals" section of QRTRPT, the gross and adjusted gross should balance using a manual calculation
8. All deduction checks for the quarter should equal the total deductions showing on QRTRPT.
This should be true for every deduction code
- Be sure to verify the electronic transfers of federal and Medicare payments as well.
- 9. The total gross showing on QRTRPT should equal the total of all payroll clearance checks created during CHKUPD for the quarter.
- 10. Balance the W2REPT quarterly to minimize problems at calendar year-end.
- Run W2PROC. Check the W2ERR.TXT report for errors.
- Complete and balance the W2REPT Reconciliation Worksheet for the quarter following the directions on the Worksheet.
- Balance the deduction totals (taxes and annuities) on the W2REPT.TXT report with the totals from the DEDRPT.TXT reports from the quarter
Balance the gross amounts on the W2REPT.TXT report with PAYRPT.TXT reports for the quarter
These amounts may not balance due to the way W2PROC handles certain amounts (e.g. Medicare pickup)
- If errors are discovered, check employees that had exception processing during the quarter such as voided checks, error adjustments, or manual changes in USPSCN. The AUDRPT program can be useful in identifying these problems
- 11. Run PAYDED, to generate a non-zero deduction listing. To do so, set the "Payment Option" to A, leaving the "Pay Cycle" and "Deduction Codes" fields blank. On DEDRPT.TXT, verify that there are no outstanding deduction amounts.
- 12. The total of all board paid amounts (if tracked on the system) should equal the total of all warrant checks to the vendor or deduction company.
- 13. Complete and file any required quarter-end submission forms.
14. For city withholdings, take the total gross times the percentage to be sure the tax withheld and submitted are correct.
Mobile employees could cause discrepancies.
- 15. Run ODJFSRPT setting the "Create a submission file" to N to generate a report only
Check all totals carefully for accuracy.If necessary, adjustments can be made using USPSCN/ATDSCN.
- 16. When all data is correct, run ODJFSRPT again, this time indicating that you want to create a tape file for submission.
- 17. Send an email to NWOCA personnel (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating that you have created the ODJFS tape file.
- 18. Only if hard copies of quarter end reports are desired, run the following:
- USRPT/EMPMST (all data)
- USPRPT/ERNSUM (all data for the quarter) – condensed version of ERNREG (170 column report)
- ERNREG – (all data for the quarter)
- QRTRPT – (all data –demand report)
- 19. Run QRTRPT again, this time clearing all data for the quarter (Option Q)
You are now ready to proceed with payroll for the new quarter.
MASCHG/MASINC-At the end of the third quarter the MASCHG/MASINC program should be processed to increment Total and Authorized years of experience for EMIS reporting purposes.
USPEMS/PERDET-Before an EMIS data collection for employee data is processed, the USPEMS/PERDET program should be ran and checked for possible errors. These errors should be corrected in the payroll system and USPEMS/PERDET should be ran again until all employee errors are cleaned up.